World Red Cross and Red Crescent day is observed every year on May 8, to celebrate the uniqueness and Unity of our International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement since 1948.
Why is it celebrated?
● The day is celebrated to mark Birth anniversary of Henry Dunant, the founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross and the first recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
● In 1948, exactly after two years of the Tokyo proposal, the annual celebration of Red Cross day was started and in 1984, it was officially named as “World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day”.
Theme of Year 2022
International Federation of Red Cross decided theme of the year 2022 as
Principles of Red Cross Society
Working for humanity to eradicate miseries, with Impartiality & Neutrality on the basis of race, nationality, class or religious beliefs, Voluntary services to provide relief in the time of crisis, Unity and universality by sharing equal status, equal liabilities and duties to help each other.
Works of Red Cross
Organizing blood donation camps, providing first aid, emergency response services, health and social care, preparing for disaster & refugee services and helping people to find missing families.
IRCS (INDIAN Red Cross Society)
● IRCS was formed in 1920 under the Indian Red Cross Society act and incorporated under Parliament act 15 of 1920, amended in 1992 and new rules were formed in 1994.
● IRCS is a National Managing body Consist of President, Chairman, Vice Chairman and 18 other members.
● President of India is President of IRCS, Union Health Minister is Chairman of IRCS while Vice Chairman is elected by members of the body.
● The President can nominate the Chairman and 6 members while 12 members are elected from States and UTs through the Electoral College.
● The Secretary General is the CEO of IRCS.
● Being a Voluntary Humanitarian organization, IRCS has over 1100 branches across 36 States/UTs in the country.